The original Bengali document is a document of the Ninth Plenum of the 1st Central Committee The Proletarian Party of East Bengal produced and published by the party in June 1973
The Communist Party Marxist-Leninist-Maoist Bangladesh translated the document in English and published online via www.sarbaharapath.com on 6 November 2014. Party slightly edited the translation on 20 April 2017
Method of Criticism
○ When making Criticism in the past, we thought party cadres or comrades absolutely communist. It was not realistic thinking because party cadres are not absolutely communist.
○ Ideological field of party cadres can be divided into two: Proletarian aspect and Petit bourgeoisie aspect.
○ Therefore, when criticizing comrades, we should always remember that their petit bourgeoisie aspect should not manifest in the form of petit bourgeoisie struggle and hinder our aim and unity.
○ We must criticize in a way that petit bourgeoisie aspects of comrades will not manifest in the form of petit bourgeoisie struggle.
The form of struggle of the petit bourgeoisie among themselves and with the people is split-ist. Split-ism manifests in the following way:
▬ Showing Temper, quarrel
▬ Renegade, clique, conspiracy, faction, making bastion, spreading rumor and slander
▬ Using evil tactics
○ The method of resolving contradiction/struggle among proletarians themselves and with the masses is unity-criticism-self-criticism-unity
Method of Making Criticism
▬ Unity: Find out points of agreement; mention and appreciate those and agree with those.
▬ Proceed with points of criticism one after another. Do not make criticism first, but study Marxism on that point of error (study jointly with the person whom you are criticizing), discuss and convince and follow method of rectification movement.
▬ In this course, when the period of realizing errors will come, criticize him/her, mention error, mention the necessity of correction, tell him/her that if his/her errors are corrected, it will be useful to revolution and people, also mention that, it is being said for his/her improvement and welfare.
▬ Help him/her to correct.
Method of Accepting Criticism
▬ If someone criticize, appreciate his/her class outlook
▬ Appreciate that he/she is not liberalist
▬ Appreciate him/her because he/she made criticism for my welfare, that is, if my errors are corrected, I shall be good server of people
▬ If you have fault or error, admit it without any hesitation, make self-criticism and correct by making sincere effort of correction
▬ If you don’t have any fault, take it as a caution for future
Extra Points on the Method of Taking Criticism
1) If someone makes criticism, do not refuse but accept that. Do not deny that.
2) Do not impose fault on others after hearing criticism.
3) Make analysis and assessment of what has been said, if necessary, take time for that.
4) Sometimes it seems: neither I did nor I had wish to do what has been said, in such case, ask for elaboration.
5) Express the mentality: I am agreed to your criticism but please elaborate how and where were those expressed.
6) Do not think criticism as an insult or dishonor. Do not think it as ridiculing. Such type of thinking can deviate you from content of criticism, you will miss the importance of it and error will not be corrected.
7) Oppose four types of one-sidedness when taking criticism:
a) Concentrating on form/method
b) Thinking it insult
c) Being disappointed to ownself
d) Being Retaliatory
8) Welcome Criticism-maker whoever it is.
9) If you have errors, admit that sincerely, make self-criticism and sincerely try to correct that.
10) It needs others’ help and own effort for correction. Among the two, own effort is principal. Own effort is repeated learning, analysis, taking help and persisting in for correction till the end.
11) The source of error lies in past and present, especially in the past social life. So, it will be easy to correct error by discovering its source, nature and laws by making analysis of the past and present.
12) It is bad to deny error, impose fault on method or others, be frustrated, be retaliatory etc. That will make bad impressions to others about you, relation with others will deteriorate and you will degenerate yourself.
13) Welcome Criticism. Do not make logic but find out aspect of unity.
14) Create the mentality of method of accepting criticism like: say what you know, say everything, do not charge speaker, correct if you have error, take it as a caution if you don’t have error.
15) Clear the disunity with the maker of criticism on the point of criticism by correcting that. Thus, achieve further developed unity.
16) Establish new unity in the above-mentioned methods on the basis of clearing errors through criticizing with the aim of unity, giving teaching, making self-criticism and correcting. Thus, achieve the target of unity-criticism-self-criticism-unity □